Re: RARA-AVIS: The Russian Killers

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 04 Jul 2000

Martha Fischer wrote:

> i wonder-- juri, did you read HEART OF DARKNESS in translation? it would be
> so interesting (though i suppose not surprising) if this phrase that's part
> of the american national consciousness was translated differently abroad....

Yes, I read it in translation and my (seemingly wrong) reminiscence of the famous line comes from the Coppola film. But then again, Brando mumbles so badly it's tough to hear what he's saying.. In Finnish it's just "Kauhu. Kauhu!", which could be either "The horror. The horror!" or "The terror. The terror!" (or even without the articles!). Both words are used in that context.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi