RARA-AVIS: The Russian Killers

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 04 Jul 2000

My friend just told me that he saw recently a documentary by Chris Marker (who directed "La Jet饦quot; on which Gilliam's "12 Monkeys" is based) about the Russian film maker Andrey Tarkovsky, the director of such classics as "Solaris" and "Andrey Rublev". The documentary contained a short section of Hemingway's "The Killers" directed by Tarkovsky in 1958! The film is short, but my friend told me that it's a very typical Tarkovsky film since the guys just stand there and not much happens. Which is something quite close to Hemingway's story.

Although IMDB knows the film, this is something of a discovery, since to my knowledge no one has seen the film and a Tarkovsky scholar from Russia said in 1992 that there are no copies of the film.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi