Re: RARA-AVIS: Crais and Voodoo River

From: temporary spider ( temporary_spider@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Jul 2000

> >Well, yes it did but - I thought the giant snapping turtle
> was a hoot!
> >
> >PatZ
>
> He shoulda used a 'gator.
>
> Bill Crider

I agree with Bill. I've now read Monkey's Raincoat and Voodoo River and they lack a certain seriousness that makes me care what happens to the people in the story. I was going to skip from Monkey to LA Requiem for this reason, but someone suggested I start with Voodoo River, solely to pick up Lucy, and then continue with the series from there. The snapping turtle in Voodoo just seemed like more glib plotting and characterization from Crais. I'm not even sure the stop for the love interest was all that necessary, considering he sees her, falls head over heels in about 30 seconds for some reason, and that's the end of that. His writing style improved between the two books, though, and I gather the series picks up steam after Voodoo, so I still have hope.

hap