Re: RARA-AVIS: blaxploitation books

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 03 Jul 2000

Mario wrote:

"I wonder what will be on the CDs that accompany the books. I fear rap."

I think it's pretty much a given that the music will be rap. The label putting out the accompanying CDs is Def Jam, which is almost exclusively rap. And the first scheduled author is Ronin Ro, whose previous books were non-ficiton about the business of rap music.

Sorta related to this, I was wondering if anyone else has heard Iceberg Slim's album Reflections and what they thought. He speaks in pre-rap rhyming slang, telling some pretty hardcore stories aout pimps and whores. Somehow the fear behind his misogyny becomes even more apparent when spoken than on the written page. It's backed by some of the lamest jazz you've ever heard. It's still a very interesting artifact for any fan of Slim's, though. It was reissued on CD a few years ago on Infinite Zero (Rick Rubin and Henry Rollin's possibly-defunct reissue label), but I don't know if it's still in print.

Much better in my opinion, is Hustler's Convention, another pre-rap rhyming slang album about a competition to name the world's greatest hustler. This was recorded by Lightnin' Rod, one of the Last Poets. It's the aural equivalent of a Holloway House novel, and very amusing in parts. The music behind this one is quite good, much by the uncredited Kool & the Gang.

Mark