RE: RARA-AVIS: Smart-ass witticisms (was Crais)

From: billha@ionet.net
Date: 03 Jul 2000

Crais backs away from so much wiseguy stuff in subsequent novels; and also away from all the reference to movies/tv. Thank goodness, since most of us prefer to keep Trivial Pursuit separate from our reading. With all the referentiality, however, I was disappointed that Crais couldn't transform LA into the land of hyperreal. After having read several more (butnot the much praised LA REquium), I no longer expect him to be able to do much with the feel of LA--the way Ellroy or Pelecanos or Block can do with their chosen cities.

He's good with his plotlines--which typically involve going against an organization, the big shootout, empowerment or attempted empowerment of a woman who needs it,and,most amazingly, absolutely no legal repercussions. Nice world to live in, if you can kick, chop, and shoot quickly.

I like Free Fall, for the sense of loss when certain characters die, but thought Voodoo River stretched credibility. Crais shouldn't try to "go home" to little La. again.

Bill Hagen billha@ionet.net