Re: RARA-AVIS: Quick Question about JD Macdonald book

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Jun 2000

I think I have both editions. I'll try to check to see if I detect the
"touch-ups". This is an annoyance with John D. He also had novels reissued under different titles. Maddening for the collector, good (?) for him.

What he did to the stories in The Good Old Stuff and other story collections is objectionable, the older writer toning down the exhuberance of youth or updating the past... Did anyone here actually know John D.? I wonder what in his personality made him revise his old work.

Still, the man had talent to spare and, taken as a whole, his work is an encyclopedia for crime writers.

Regards,

mt