RARA-AVIS: Quick Question about JD Macdonald book

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Jun 2000

Hello, all:

Earlier today I stopped at my local used paperback place and found a copy of John D's AREA OF SUSPICION. Up top there's a brief blurb -- "Specially revised by the author". Does anyone know anything about this revision? Why it was revised? What the old one was like? (According to the copyright page I have the 1961 edition, but there's also an earlier 1954 copyright date? Was that the copyright of the earlier edition?)

On a different note, recently read Mickey Spillane's THE DEEP. Outside of the last two paragraphs, which are as bad a deus ex machina I've ever read, it's a solid "gangster returns to old stomping grounds to exact revenge" story. Stylistically, though, it doesn't sound like the other Spillanes I've read. I think I remember someone mentioning here that there were rumors THE DEEP was ghostwritten? I think I have my suspicions, too.

Thanks, doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com