Re: RARA-AVIS: canned heat?

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 12 Jun 2000

On 12 June 2000, stephen holden wrote:

: I'm reading Robert Polito's exellent biography of Jim Thompson at the
: moment. He mentions that when Thompson was a hobo he was sometimes
: reduced to drinking moonshine, white lightning, 'canned heat.' Can any
: rara-avians tell me what exactly is 'canned heat'?

You've seen those little cans of Sterno, which you light to make a small cooking flame (like under a fondue pot)? As I understand it, they'd take those cans, filter out the alcohol, and drink it. It'd be cheap, but it must have done a number on the body and brain.

Bill