RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 03 Jun 2000

I've read these old PBO's recently and thought I'd recommend them:

Tedd Thomey: "Killer in White" (1956). Very good, very far from your typical romantic doctor stuff. Tersely written. Lee Server cites Thomey's "And Dream of Evil" as one of his favourite novels in "The Big Book of Noir". Does anyone know anything about Thomey?

Robert Colby: "Beautiful but Bad" (1962). Quite good, but the ending was too hastily done. Gripping situations throughout, though. Does anyone know where and when Colby's short story "Paint the Town Green" was first published?

K.R. Dwyer (aka Dean Koontz): "Chase" (1972). Good and very fast read (it took some 45 minutes from me!). Early serial-killer novel and some strong stuff about coming home from Vietnam. But I didn't care about the killer being homosexual. It was strictly unnecessary and stereotyped.

I've also read some five Ben Benson's novels and found them very good, especially "Broken Shield" (1955) and "End of Violence" (1959).

Juri jurnum@utu.fi