Re: Re: RARA-AVIS: robert crais

From: jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
Date: 30 May 2000

rara-avis@icomm.ca wrote:
> If you like Monkey's Raincoat, odds are you will like all of the
> Cole/Pike books. I'm among those who actually thinks they get
> better as the series progresses, slowly shedding some of the Parker
> influence. I know I commented on LA Requiem. I think some of my
> comments may have even come off as negative to someone who hadn't
> read the series. However, LA Requiem is a very good book, that
> heralds some changes in the series (more development of Pike's
> character, for instance). Just because I had hoped Crais might
> have gone a bit farther with one or two of his changes should not
> be taken as a non-endorsement. It was only because I really like
> the series that I cared enough to read that far and think so much
> about the ramifications of the shift.

LA REQUIEM was my first Crais, and the only reason I tried it was that the critics said that the Parker...let's call it "influence"... was less marked. I was pleasantly surprised, as I thought there wasn't much similarity to Parker's work at all. It was significantly darker than anything Parker's done, and the better for it.

jess