RARA-AVIS: Existentialism

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 29 May 2000

James Gormley wrote:

> I believe the cinema noir folks were heavily influenced by the
> existentialists like Camus and it seems that I read somewhere that one of
> the reasons the French were (are?) so infatuated with hardboiled fiction is
> because of its debt to the French existentialists. Am I off track here?

Maybe it was more like other way around - the hardboiled fiction influenced existentialism, people like Camus, André ‡ide and Sartre (who thought Faulkner was a genius). But it was surrealists who labeled films as noir - just read James Naremore's wonderful book "More Than Night".

Juri jurnum@utu.fi