RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Writing

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 28 May 2000

>There are tons of pimp books, but are there any from the perspective of
>the whore? I can't think of any. I'd like to read them, see the story
>from the other side. Somehow, I doubt the pimp would be quite so
>glorious.

 From Canada, add RUNAWAY by Evelyn Lau and BANG FOR A BUCK by Catherine Roman to the list of books from a hooker's point of view, though they're both non-fiction.

And BobT chimed in, with

>Writing isn't gender specific, and any writer worth his or her salt can
>fool any academic into thinking they're the opposite sex on any day of
>the week.

Hear, hear. He didn't fool anyone, since he signed his own name, but Robert Crais wrote some very convincing, complex, tough females in his new DEMOLITION ANGEL (and at least one in L.A. REQUIEM). And didn't Ruth Birmingham just win an Edgar for BEST PBO for FULTON COUNTY BLUES? I wonder how many folks read and enjoyed that one (or maybe even voted for it), not knowing Ruth is a guy?

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

An A&E Mystery.com Site of the Week, but don't let that discourage you.