Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Rewriting

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 28 May 2000

Words from the Monastery wrote:

> One would say there is an African-American perspective and to deny it would
> get you labeled as a racist in some liberal circles.

What about black writers like Willard Motley and Frank Yerby, or cartoonist George Herriman (creator of Krazy Kat), or SF writers Steven Barnes, Samuel R. Delany and James Nelson? With the possible exception of Delany, the academics don't even count these guys as black writers, because their perspective isn't "African-American."

Does saying this make me a racist? Hell, I thought I was a liberal. Live and learn, I guess.

BobT