RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Rewriting

From: Words from the Monastery ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 27 May 2000

One would say there is an African-American perspective and to deny it would get you labeled as a racist in some liberal circles.

> Funny, but the literati I know and read, in places like the
> London Review of
> Books and the NY Review of Book, say no such thing. Of course,
> they say that
> Winterson is an overrated poetaster, too.

You've never seen it said about "Written on the Body" that the protagonist is a nameless and genderless narrator? It's on the jacket of the book even. Everything I've read about the book states this ... usually in the first sentence.

> Perhaps you should first define what you mean by not writing like a male?

Ernest Hemmingway, William Faulkner, Henry Miller, Lawrence Block, Ross MacDonald, Dashiell Hammett, Herman Melville, Charles Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Elmore Leonard, James Ellroy, James Crumley, Jose Latour, etc., write like males ...

volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia

"The dead are heavy, after all."
 -Will Christopher Baer, "Penny Dreadful"

Hard-Boiled Noir Discussion
   Hard-Boiled-subscribe@egroups.com