RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women Rewriting

From: Words from the Monastery ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 27 May 2000

Are there exceptions to the rule? Of course ... are there readers who are exceptions as well? Yes to that as well. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule
... some inherent psychic ability that tells me who the author is and it actually has nothing to do with the writing, but being able to tell the difference in the writing perspectives is just the most rational interpretation of that psychic knowledge ... I don't think so.

"Written on the Body" by Jeanette Winterson is touted by the literati as a novel who's protagonist is genderless and Ms Winterson is praised for her superior writing ability at being able to successfully accomplish this ... but from my reading perspective the protagonist is obviously a woman. To
"give" specifics (if such things exist) would require a rereading, but the mannerisms and view are obviously not male ... well, the character isn't a male then what's left for the character to be?

I'll look into the works you've listed and those that others have listed and take notes while reading them ... see what I can come up with. But while I do that ... maybe some of you believe there is no difference can come up with quantifiable evidence supporting your view beyond your opinion that it's so as well (that is what y'all are asking me to after all ... turn about is fair play) ... prove me wrong. :)

volente Deo,

Anthony Dauer Alexandria, Virginia

"The dead are heavy, after all."
 -Will Christopher Baer, "Penny Dreadful"

Hard-Boiled Noir Discussion
   Hard-Boiled-subscribe@egroups.com