RARA-AVIS: Connelly

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 26 May 2000

I just finished reading the ARC of Michael Connelly's new book, A DARKNESS MORE THAN NIGHT. It is terrific! Mike's a friend of mine, so to keep from giving the impression of impropriety I don't usually post much about him on the internet, but this book is so good that I'm going to break that rule all over the place.

Terry McCaleb, the ex-profiler with the heart transplant from BLOOD WORK, is called out of retirement to investigate a murder that could be the work of a serial killer. His investigation points to LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch, who is currently testifying in a high profile celebrity murder trial. To say much more about the plot would be a spoiler, but Connelly ingeniously manages to weave threads and characters from all of his previous books into this hard boiled meditation on cops and the psychic price they pay for going to work everyday. You don't have to be familiar with the previous books to enjoy this one, but the more you are, the richer the experience will be. And it is a rich experience indeed.

I have been a big fan of Connelly's since long before we met. I have enjoyed all his books. I think THE LAST COYOTE and ANGEL'S FLIGHT, in particular, are modern day masterpieces among his other works of very high quality. But I believe A DARKNESS MORE THAN NIGHT is his finest book yet. Those who are not converted will be if they read this one.

TL