RARA-AVIS: RE:West Coast Crime Writers

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 25 May 2000

Did Browne's comments appear anywhere in print or are they a recollection from a personal conversation? In either case, are there any specifics? I'm very interested in the interplay of West Coast mystery writers during the 30s, 40s and 50s.

I've been intrigued by the relationships, or lack thereof, that existed back then ever since I laid eyes on that famous photo from the first (and only?) West Coast Black Mask get-together at Musso's Restaurant, in January of '36. With Chandler staring down at the table cloth and Hammett and Horace McCoy staring into space. One can only wonder at the dynamics that existed in the room.

Gruber's "Pulp Jungle" is full of fascinating stuff. Books like David Wilt's
"Hardboiled in Hollywood" (five Black Mask writers and the movies) and Bill Nolan's "The Black Mask Boys" (essays and stories) are mainly concerned with careers, but still provide a few insights into personal lives. Anybody on this list know of any other sources of information on the subject?

Dick Lochte