RARA-AVIS: Bolitar series/Maltese Falcon similiarities?

From: Brian Lalor ( blalor@hcirisc.cs.binghamton.edu)
Date: 25 May 2000

I just finished reading The Maltese Falcon. I'm plowing through "The Novels of Dashiell Hammett" which has "Red Harvest", "The Dain Curse",
"The Maltese Falcon", "The Glass Key" and "The Thin Man". So far, I've really been enjoying his stories and read in an intro to "Hard Boiled" that Hammett was actually a dick for fourteen years back in the '20s. Cool. :-)

As I was reading "Falcon", I started to draw some similarities between the characters there and those in the Myron Bolitar series (the author's name escapes me at the moment). In particular, Bolitar as Spade and Esperanza
(his secretary) as Effie. I think that's just the tip of the iceberg, but I was wondering if anyone else caught that parallel.

_____________________________________________________________________________ B r i a n L a l o r blalor@hcirisc.cs.binghamton.edu http://hcirisc.cs.binghamton.edu/~blalor Spam me not.
   To get my pgp key, put "get pgp key" in the subject of your message

E: Its 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark and we're wearing sunglasses. J: Hit it.