RARA-AVIS: Re: Going to Towne

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 24 May 2000

Bill D wrote:

"Has Towne written any actual hardboiled fiction, in novel or short story form?"

Towne has published the script of Chinatown. I always found it odd that it is the script of the finished film, which contained several changes by Polanski which Towne fought very hard against, but lost when producer Robert Evans sided with the director. I'd really like to read Towne's original script so I could compare it to the finished film. According to a Towne interview I read (I think in American Film), Towne's ending was completely different -- Evelyn shot Noah Cross and silently stood trial while Gittes whisked her daughter away to Mexico (hence, setting up The Two Jakes). Supposedly, Gittes's earlier problem in Chinatown was also spelled out.

But as much as I am looking forward to seeing MI-2 this afternoon (I'm a big John Woo fan and I'm very curious what Towne -- screenplay from someone else's story -- will do with an action-adventure blockbuster), I can't imagine it falls under this list's jurisdiction.

Mark