Re: RARA-AVIS: Titles & Pianists

From: rikke & hanne kesten ( rbkhbk@bcn.net)
Date: 20 May 2000

Richard: The Goodis book was titled "Down There." Internet Movie Database shows the original title as, "Tirez Sur Le Pianist" which translates something like "Shoot At the Pianist."
  However I clearly remember my French wife and her friends, at the time the film was originally released, referring to the film as "Ne Tirez Pas Sur Le Pianist" or Ne Tuez Pas Le Pianist" which would translate as
"Don't Shoot (or Don't Kill) the Pianist" which was translated/changed by the US distributor to "Shoot the Piano Player."
  I find it interesting that it was your Belgian (I assume French speaking) and English friends among those who remember the title as
"Don't...."
  I suppose the ulitmate authority would be the book, "Films In My Life" written by Truffaut, or "Finally Truffaut: A Film-by-Film Guide to the Master Filmmaker's Legacy" by Don Allen.

Moorich2@aol.com wrote:

>.............. movie credits the title "Don't Shoot the Pianist."

 in the US is the original DOWN THERE and it