RARA-AVIS: Bill Pronzini

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 21 May 2000

I've been away from the computer for a couple of days, and I've enjoyed catching up on the discussion of Bill Pronzini. I've met Bill, and I got to interview him on the stage at a Bouchercon (in Chicago, maybe 1984). I even got to visit his home once and see his pulp and paperback collection, which left me awe-struck. So you can take my opinion with a grain of salt.
 But I confess to enjoying his books. He's done a lot of different things with the "Nameless" series, including a locked-room novel. Some of them have been pretty light, but since SHACKLES, the books have taken a darker turn, I think, and it's been interesting to see how the character has changed. (Darkness has intruded earlier, I know, in books like BLOWBACK.) Anyway, I think it's an impressive series.

Bill Crider