Re: RARA-AVIS: RE:Titles & Pianists Wrapup?

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 21 May 2000

billha@ionet.net wrote:

> Many of today's film makers first saw the possibilities of film through the New
> Wave directors, who
> were themselves influenced by the noir of Old Hollywood. What's really
> interesting is to see something later, like Diva, or (better) The American
> Friend (adapted from a Highsmith Ripley), which seem "aware" of both the
> original noir and the New Wave variations on noir.

The eighties' French crime movies, like "Diva" or Leos Carax's "Boy Meets Girl", are too selfconscious of their postmodernity. From someone like Luc Besson it demanded a Hollywood production to fully show his skills ("Leon"). I can't bear his French films. The seventies French crime films would be more interesting, post-New Wave stuff by New Wave directors (like Claude Chabrol or Claude Sautet, also Jose Giovanni, whom some of you might know as a hardboiled writer, directed some movies). And totally without postmodern relentlessness.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi