Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Lit is Dead...

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 May 2000

I can't believe Bill Pronzini said this. The statement is all the more puzzling because Bill is a walking encyclopedia of crime fiction. I will simply list some post-McCarthyism hardboiled masterpieces:

E. Richard Johnson: Mongo's Back in Town

Richard Stark: Any Parker novel (Slayground is my favorite)

George Higgins: The Friends of Eddie Coyle

James Crumley: The Last Good Kiss

Elmore Leonard: Freaky Deaky

Walter Mosley: A Little Yellow Dog

Joe Gores: Interface

Teri White: Triangle

James Ellroy: The Big Nowhere

Lawrence Block: When the Sacred Ginmill Closes

And there are lots and lots of great hardboiled titles by these and other authors.

Regards,

mt