Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Architecture?

From: Tosh ( tosh@loop.com)
Date: 19 May 2000

on 5/19/00 2:03 AM, DENNIS MCGUIRE at dlm183@prodigy.net wrote:

I think Architecture in Los Angeles is quite interesting. The Bradbury Bldg. in Downtown is noirish. In fact I would spend a morning or afternoon on Broadway Downtown L.A. Lots of great theaters and buildings. I would also check out the main Downtown L.A. library on Fifth and Flower.

It is also a good time to visit Hollywood Blvd. That street will be changing in the next ten years or so. Some of it is god awful, but if you look hard enough you'll see some interesting buildings. Especially around Hollywood and Vine area. Also check out the Roosevelt Hotel.

Great parts of Glendale and Pasadena are also interesting. In parts not that many tall buildings, but many two story buildings which I think were built in the 30's. Plus there is the Miracle Mile (Wilshire), Culver City, and other parts of the town that hasn't been rebuilt to the max.

I would also recommend that you get a guide book that only concerns Architecture in L.A. There is a famous one, but I forgot the title.

ciao,