RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Architecture?

From: DENNIS MCGUIRE ( dlm183@prodigy.net)
Date: 19 May 2000

Driving down to L.A. soon to play with my camera, see what's cooking and check out the architecture. Does anyone have recommendations for a quintessential or just plain good L.A. crime novel? For that matter, recommendations for hardboiled buildings would be welcome, as well. Do such a things exist? Everytime I pass a certain, circa 1920's, office building in downtown Oakland, with it's aura of urban decay, I look up and think, "the perfect place for a private eye." Then there's the art deco apartment building on San Francisco's Telegraph Hill, where Bacall took Bogie in "Dark Passage" or the Flood Building on Market Street, where Sam Spade had his office, in the "Maltese Falcon." So, I guess, by association, such things do exist. I'd like to find a few more, particularly in L.A.

Thanks,
-Dennis