Re: RARA-AVIS: New paperbark original writers

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 18 May 2000

Mario wrote:

George P. Pelecanos Andrew Vachss (if you ignore the preaching part) Elmore Leonard James Ellroy

"Well, these guys have been publishing in hardcover for a long time, though Leonard did publish paperback originals before he became really famous. I thought the question referred to current writers of paperback originals who might one day become recognized as masters. All four gentlemen above are established authors and hardly need to be discovered."

A few of the Ellroys (Brown's Requiem, Clandestine and Silent Terror, AKA Killer on the Road) were also PBOs, but he made it as a Hardcover author.

And Pelecanos is the opposite of a PBO author. It took forever before Serpent's Tail finally reprinted some of his in paper. Now that a movie's supposedly being made (anyone know where it stands? I live in the DC suburbs and haven't heard anything about them filming) a few more have been reprinted, but Shoedog still hasn't.

Mark