RARA-AVIS: Mary Astor

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 07 May 2000

I've read complaints about Mary Astor in other forums, so I know I'm in a minority on this point, but I kind of like her in THE MALTESE FALCON.
 I'm so old now that the first time I saw the movie I was too young to be critical. In fact, Juri, I was so young that her haircut was even sort of stylish. And later on, when I read in HOLLYWOOD BABYLON about her red-hot love affairs with George S. Kaufman and John Barrymore, I figured she must have plenty of sex appeal, even if it wasn't always obvious on screen.

Bill Crider