RE: RARA-AVIS: More on Thomas

From: billha@ionet.net
Date: 05 May 2000

Doug writes: Guess I'm waxing a little poetic here, huh? :) But
> Thomas is one of my favorite writers in the genre, and
> I wish he was better known and appreciated.

Can't wax too poetic about this master. His FOOLS IN TOWN... should appeal to fans of RED HARVEST, though less blood-drenched. It's a classic instance of the Twain formula (as seen in "The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg"), where you use the town's native greed (& organized power structure) to pull off a big one.

Thomas' BRIARPATCH is regularly read in his native state of Oklahoma,where it is part of a regularly mounted library discussion series which features books about the state. His book is "about" Oklahoma City, mostly, and it's quite delightful to read stories and characters in that book which are close enough to the originals to raise a chuckle of recognition.