Re: RARA-AVIS: Ross Thomas

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 May 2000

I'm not impartial when it comes to Thomas, but I love both of these books. FOURTH DURANGO is not Thomas at his best, but I found it eminently enjoyable. (I got to get the kind of walking stick that one character sports!) COLD WAR SWAP is, I think, Thomas's first book (at least, first book in the genre). It's a decent spy story with a nice layer of cynicism and black humor. I think Thomas really started to hit his stride a little later, but I certainly recommend both of these unhesitatingly.

By the way, I don't hate Leonard -- I really like his early, good novels: STICK, LABRAVA, UNKNOWN MAN #89, VALDEZ IS COMING, etc. But I do think his recent books
(in my mind, post FREAKY DEAKY) are pretty lame. And yeah, I think nowadays he's overrated.

doug

--- Keith Alan Deutsch < keithdeutsch@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Dear Bill,
>
> I am not fond of the characters in Fourth Durango;
> reminds me of a bad Leonard
> (can I say that on RARA-AVIS?)
>
> Cold War swap is in a different mode entirely with
> more familiar
> characters. I
> give it a "fair" among Thomas' works. >
>
> William Denton wrote:
>

> > What do people make of THE FOURTH DURANGO? I've
since

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com