Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Willeford

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 May 2000

How can one resist a title like _New Hope for the Dead_? By the way, I recently reread _Cockfighter_, and what a great book it is, so full of experience but filtered through the strange genius of this writer. As with his autobiographical books, this one sounds real and unreal at the same time. This effect has something to do with his sentence structure and rhythm, I'm convinced.

We could talk about Willeford until the end of time and still we couldn't exactly put our finger on what it is that makes him so fascinating. As bad copy writers like to say, he was a "most unique" fellow. His books keep getting better and better.

Regards,

Mario Taboada