RARA-AVIS: The Law of Averages

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 02 May 2000

And Mark wrote:

>Make sure it's not Sacred, the most average of the series.

Gee, that's something. The most average of all those apparently less-average (but not necessarily less-than-average) books.

But average is a good word for the Kenzie-Genarro series. There's nothing really wrong with them, but I find they lack that extra something that pushes them over the top, and cuts them from the crowd. Strange, I know, that in other ways, that's all Lehane keeps trying to do: go over the top, with one hey-this'll-shock 'em! unpleasantness after another.

Maybe it's because I never really buy into the lead characters of Patrick and Angie. Anyway, it's nice to know there's a few other folks on this list that aren't completely blown away by the series.

And Doug warned about the use of the word "spunk":

>Be very careful here. This word has a, uh, different meaning in England, I
>believe. What about Canada?

In a typically-Canadian compromise, we use the word to mean both.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

An A&E Mystery.com Site of the Week