RE: RARA-AVIS: RE: Ex-con writers-- Himes

From: Michael Chong ( mchong@ytv.com)
Date: 01 May 2000

Mark wrote: Was that Cast the First Stone, written earlier, published later?

Yes. If He Hollers, Let Him Go was written later, but published first.

Mark also wrote: While I'm on the subject of Himes, I've now read all of his Coffin Ed and Gravedigger Jones books. What are the most recommended of his others?

If He Hollers, Let Him Go, The Lonely Crusade, Run, Man, Run, The End of a Primitive and The Collected Stories of Chester Himes.

The most HB of the above are Run, Man, Run. In it, a Black man, after witnessing his co-workers murdered by a White cop, is hunted by the killer.

Chong