Re: RARA-AVIS: Public Acclaim - Robert Bloch

From: Z0MB0Y@aol.com
Date: 28 Apr 2000

THE DEAD BEAT was a fine, edge of the seat kind of read. The protagonist is just likable enough to make it fun to watch him come apart. He's a very believable and sympathetic psychopath, who, in his own mind, is reacting as rationally as possible to extreme situations. I have a making of PSYCHO book that goes to great lengths to say that, other than the age of Norman (Bloch said he imagined Rod "Joy Boy" Steiger in the role!) and the placement of the shower murder within the story, the movie's a fairly faithful adaptation. It's next on my reading list, but I havn't gotten to it.