RARA-AVIS: Are they still talking about definitions?

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 28 Apr 2000

Could we just get on with it, please? Geniuses? Classics? Masterpieces? Zzzzzzz....

Could someone wake me when the class is over, and just tell me what the reading homework is for next class?

By the way, has anyone read MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN by Jonathan Lethem or any of John Shannon's Jack Liffey books. Both very recommended. There are smart and original voices in hardboiled fiction that don't just carry on the tradition, but expand on it.

And this may be pissing in the church, but I always thought James M. Cain to be rather over-rated. His rep rested primarily on DOUBLE INDEMNITY and THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. No argument, as far as those go, but the rest of his stuff is pretty hit-or-miss, much of it very minor, and a lot of it isn't even very hardboiled at all (or even very interesting). Give me his short, dirty little tales of lust and deceit over his turgid melodramas any day.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

An A&E Mystery.com Site of the Week