Re: RARA-AVIS: hardboiled: no crime/Cain/the author or the work?

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 27 Apr 2000

Mike mentioned the contempt in which Chandler and some others held James M. Cain. I hadn't known that, so I looked up Cain in the index of Selected Letters of Raymond Chandler. "Contempt" is putting it lightly:

"Most of all perhaps, in my rather sensitive mind, I hope the day will come when I won't have to ride around on Hammett and James Cain, like an organ grinder's monkey. Hammett is all right. I give him everything. There were a lot of things he could not do, but what he did he did superbly. But James Cain -- faugh! Everything he touches smells like a billygoat. He is every kind of writer I detest, a faux naif, a Proust in greasy overalls, a dirty little boy with a piece of chalk and a board fence and nobody looking. Such people are the offal of literature, not because they write about dirty things, but because they do it in a dirty way. Nothing hard and clean and cold and ventilated. A brothel with a smell of cheap scent in the front parlor and a bucket of slops at the back door. Do I, for God's sake, sound like that? Hemingway with his eternal sleeping bag got to be pretty damn tiresome, but at least Hemingway sees it all, not just the flies on the garbage can."

Mark