RARA-AVIS: Madhouse and crime, Brown and Browne

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 25 Apr 2000

Frederic Brown has at least one story in an asylum--it's reprinted in the Dennis McMillan trade paperback Homicide Sanitarium, which is a fun collection. For those of you in Beltway Virginia (Anthony?), the Alexandria library has a copy.

On Howard Browne, I agree with the recent assessments of the Paul Pine books.
 They are knock-offs of Chandler that flirt with outdoing the master. Thin Air, on the other hand, I found less strong. My reservations are similar to those I had about Fearing's The Big Clock. The privileged white collar media/ad guy protagonist didn't do a lot for me--something like that.

Doug III