Re: RARA-AVIS: The Prey books

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 17 Apr 2000

I also read just one of Sandford's books. I stopped there for the exact same reason I never read a second Carol O'Connell, cited as the future of hardboiled in the GQ article a couple of years ago. They are both superheroes, have wealth, brains, etc., only do police work as a hobby, so there's never any real tension in their lives (plus aren't they all serial killer books?). To me, this is one of the points separating hardboiled from cozy. If I want to read comic book heroes I'll read a comic book. Stirke that, comic book heroes these days are more complex.

Mark