Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Hardboiled Music

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 17 Apr 2000

Juri wrote:

"You're right, but I'd classify only original black blues as hardboiled, since it was born out of violence and attempts to be a man. The white blues has just been a little too, well, cozy for me. They play too well to be truly incorporated into the bad hardboiled world."

Juri, are you actually saying that white blues players play _better_ than their black forebears? Not just in a different, more engaged style? For instance, that Eric Clapton or Duane Allman or Stevie Ray Vaughan plays _better_ than B.B. King, Blind Willie Johnson, Muddy Waters or Robert Johnson?

That strikes me the same as saying that, by definition, cozies are written _better_ than hardboiled, that Ruth Rendell, for instance, writes better than Raymond Chandler, not just more academically or refined, less colloquial.

Mark