Re: RARA-AVIS: Hunter S. Thompson [long]

From: James Rogers ( jetan@ionet.net)
Date: 11 Apr 2000

At 03:15 PM 4/11/00 -0700, Doug B. wrote:

>One advantage of my rough definition is that it
>includes books that seem to be hb, but don't fit
>easily into the mystery genre (JUNKY, VALDEZ IS
>COMING, NEUROMANCER, Bukowkski's work) but excludes
>books that are pi novels, but seem (at least to me) to
>lack the right attitude (a lot of later Parker, a lot
>of later Block, Marcia Muller's WOLF IN THE SHADOWS,
>etc.) Rather than say that these later books are
>necessarily "bad" books (though I think the Muller
>book is awful)it might be more accurate to say that
>they're simply not hardboiled books.

   I agree with the overall thrust of your post, while disagreeing on Burroughs. Certainly most of the books which include an allegedly "tough" PI are about as far from hardboiled as one could get. I also agree that it has been a long time since Block wrote anything that I recognize as hardboiled.

                       James