RE: RARA-AVIS: Hunter S. Thompson

From: James Rogers ( jetan@ionet.net)
Date: 11 Apr 2000

At 10:12 PM 4/10/00 -0400, Tribe wrote:

>See, the surrealism of it doesn't seem to fit the hard-boiled mode to me.
>Burroughs did some hard-boiled stuff: Junky and Queer. But I can't fit the
>bulk of his surreal work into the tradtition.
>
>I'm certainly open-minded about it all though.

      I think surrealism has a good pedigree in HB books. The endings of
_Double Indemnity, as well as Thompson's _Savage Night_ and _The Getaway_ all strike me as crossing well over into that territory. For that matter, I believe that Burroughs said that _Naked Lunch_ (which I do find hardboiled) was just a rewrite of _Junky_.
      Interesting topic.

                     James