RE: RARA-AVIS: Hunter S. Thompson

From: John & Carrie ( johncarrie@sprynet.com)
Date: 10 Apr 2000

Bob sed:

> And what about Thompson's "Hell's Angels"? A classic piece of
> reportage, not filled with drug induced horrors, but definitely
> hardboiled.
>
> Do we exclude books from our lists just because they're non-fiction?

No, not at all. I immediately regreted saying that non-fiction automatically warrants exclusion fron hard-boiled status. You're absolutely right, since Hell's Angels is a prime candidate.

I found Fear and Loathing so surreal that I hesitated in considering it hard-boiled. Hell's Angels though is a stronger candidate. I'll have to give Fear and Loathing another read.

See, the surrealism of it doesn't seem to fit the hard-boiled mode to me. Burroughs did some hard-boiled stuff: Junky and Queer. But I can't fit the bulk of his surreal work into the tradtition.

I'm certainly open-minded about it all though.

Tribe