RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #167

From: Joe Kraus ( j-kraus@nwu.edu)
Date: 06 Apr 2000

Bad news, everyone,

This message came to me with the happy99.exe worm (a kind of virus, as I understand it) attached. Please be careful. I think this particular bug is supposed to be more of a nuisance than an atom bomb, but you should all check it out.

I talked to a technical person who says

1) delete without opening the file happy99.exe.

2) search your computer for a file named wsock32.ska and for one named ska.dll Both are evidence that you've been infected.

Short of that, all I can say is good luck.

a long time lurker,

Joe Kraus

At 02:12 PM 4/5/2000 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]
>Series Editor.
>
>No idea where to find a bibliography of Crumley's short fiction.
>PB
>

>- --
># To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
># The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:47:33 +0600
>From: abc@wt.net
>Subject: RARA-AVIS: Nurse novels
>
>Juri: I didn't mean to imply that nurse novels couldn't be good literature.
> I just meant that most rara-avians are unlikely to seek them out as reading
>material.
>
>Bill Crider
>- --
># To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
># The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:27:33 -0500
>From: "Charles Shafer" < cshafer@chipsnet.com>
>Subject: RARA-AVIS: review
>
>Crime Time Magazine's web site at www.crimetime.co.uk has some good reviews
>of present and past hardboiled fiction, along with interviews and articles.
>
>charlie
>Taylorville, IL
>
>- --
># To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
># The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:59:05 -0600
>From: "Larson, Craig" < Craig.Larson@tsjc.cccoes.edu>
>Subject: RE: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled music
>
>I know some have criticized Pelecanos for the
>vast number of musical citations and allusions in
>his books, but, for me, I think they're a big part
>of what drew me in to his work in the first place.
>Nothing works quite like music to ground characters
>in a specific time and place, even moreso than other
>pop cultural allusions, I think.
>
>Craig Larson
>Trinidad, CO
>- --
># To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
># The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 11:23:28 -0700
>From: Ann Theis < Theisa@co.chesterfield.va.us>
>Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: James Crumley - short stories
>
>I can't help with the short story request, but this may be of some interest
>(hard boiled golf?) The reviews I've seen so far have been pretty good, for
>what that is worth. I don't have any great desire to read about golf, but it
>sure is an eclectic and intriguing mix of authors.
>
>THE PUTT AT THE END OF THE WORLD, 5/00 $23.95 ISBN 0446526002
>Can golf save the world? An all-star line-up of acclaimed authors answers
this
>question and more in this wickedly funny and entertaining novel.
Contributors

"Larson, Craig" < Craig.Larson@tsjc.cccoes.edu> writes:

>> I haven't read his books yet--I've got _Finder_ and
>> _Smoker_ waiting in my TBR pile--but I have read
>> both his _Whiteout_ and _Whiteout: Melt_ comics
>> miniseries. They're excellent examples of a genre that
>> is all too infrequent in comics, mystery/hardboiled.
>> Plus, I read somewhere recently that _Whiteout_ had
>> been optioned for a feature film--in the right hands, it
>> could be a good one.
>>
>> Craig Larson
>> Trinidad, CO
>>

>My pal, WHITEOUT artist Steve Lieber, told me this past weekend that
WHITEOUT is going ahead as a film with Wolfgang Petersen (DAS BOOT, IN THE LINE OF FIRE, AIR FORCE ONE) attached to direct.