RARA-AVIS: Noir Cats

From: domer ( domer89@sbt.infi.net)
Date: 19 Mar 2000

Akif Pirincci's 1993 novel, "Felidae," is a murder mystery told by first-person narrator Francis, a cat, who in the second sentence says,
"a life of harmony and tranquility is a brief affair." This was no
"Tailchaser's Song," a fantasy novel with a feline narrator; this was a crime novel set in a very different subculture. It's been seven years since I read the novel, but I remember "Felidae" as a superb literary psychological thriller that may have been hardboiled, as well. It certainly was along its edges if not through-and-through. It won Germany's top crime novel of the year award when it was published there, probably in 1991 or 1992.