RARA-AVIS: Freaky Deaky

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 06 Mar 2000

I found the book mildly diverting, but nothing special It's certainly colloquial, so if you are using Jim's definition it's HB, but otherwise I think it's borderline. I've read only a few Leonards so I can't say for sure, but it seems we could have read a better, more on topic book of his. I guess that leads me to ask Bill, once you have determined to read a certain author how do you choose which book to read? Not counting Hammett or Chandler whom almost everybody has read at least once, since I have been on the list, the book we are to read seldom is the first in a series, the author's best or most recent work. Excuse me if I am stepping on toes with this question. I'm just curious.

I had an idea that when we are to read a book by a current author maybe one of our list members could arrange for the author to be on the list for the month. Thinking it over that might inhibit our comments, so instead maybe the author would answer a certain limited number of our questions. For instance, though it's not a monthly book there has been a lot of discussion recently about Robert Crais' LA Requiem. It would be great if Crais would at least give us some hint about our (mainly Mark Sullivan and me ) speculations of where the series can go now.

if the author is dead I don't think this is a very good idea. Mark