RARA-AVIS: Talented Mr Ripley

From: Peter Walker ( pw@pw.cablenet.co.uk)
Date: 23 Feb 2000

Just re-read the book cos i want to go and see the film and was gob smacked. This must be one of the top 10 HB/Noir books of all time. It is really chilling and dead funny as well. How ever you take it - bisecting bourgeois society, amoral killer story, psychpath who gets our sympathy - it is amazing how Highsmith draws you into Ripley's world without a by - your - leave and lulls you to sleep with her non
- judgemental tone. Thoroghly enjoyed it and wonder if the film can be that good - although I read the Directors account of it all the other day and it sounds good. Pete