RARA-AVIS: Auction Purchasing Query

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 18 Feb 2000

Sorry Bill, this query is a tad off-topic, but I can report back with results if they are appropriate. I'm doing a story (reporting) on online auctions. Since a lot of rara-avis subscribers have been buying hardboiled books and magazines at online auctions, I would appreciate hearing offlist from some of you who have a good story to share. I'm looking for essentially two things:
(1) great success stories--"I couldn't find x, then got it on auction; [or] I got a great deal" (2) fraud or speculation anecdotes--"I got ripped off; [or] I got caught in bidding fever and then found the item more cheaply elsewhere." Thanks. Next week, I'll try to get back to people who contact me.
--Doug