RARA-AVIS: Aarons, Paul Denver, William Woolfolk

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 18 Feb 2000

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Anders Engwall wrote:

> I really liked the non-Durell DARK DESTINY, which Aarons
> wrote as Edward Ronns (or was Ronns his real name?).

I think it was. His writing career started as early as in the thirties in some pulp magazines, where he wrote as Ronns.

Floyd Mahannah has also been one author, I've been meaning to ask about, but haven't had time to read his one translated novel. But there's one guy who strikes me as quite good: Paul Denver, who wrote a rather Chandler-like P.I. novels about Michael Power in the early sixties. I've read one, it was short, but very good. Later on Denver wrote stuff like Cannon novelizations, which never seems an interesting thing to do.

Also William Woolfolk comes to mind. I've read one of his novels, "Run While You Can" from the midfifties. In it the police officer protects this woman who is being accused of murdering his lover. It's a love story told in a very cool manner and the people seem very detached. It wasn't totally succesful book, but I found it interesting enough to be underrated.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi