Re: RARA-AVIS: Edward S. Aarons and underrated books

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 18 Feb 2000

Doug Bassett:

> I just finished Aarons's ASSIGNMENT: HELENE and have a
> couple of others waiting for me -- ASSIGNMENT KARACHI
> and ASSIGNMENT SULU SEA. I also have DON'T CRY,
> BELOVED, though that's more of a gamble, since I've
> never read a non-Durell Aarons before.

I really liked the non-Durell DARK DESTINY, which Aarons wrote as Edward Ronns (or was Ronns his real name?).

> Anyhow, I thought it might be fun if some people would
> nominate their own picks for "Underrated hb books". By
> "underrated" I don't mean "favorite"; I mean those
> books which you really like, but which the mass of hb
> fans either don't know about or don't care about.

One author I've intended to ask about is one Floyd Mahannah. THE GOLDEN GOOSE is terrific, yet I've never seen this guy mentioned anywhere at all.

I also have fond memories of NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE by the likewise obscure Clayton Fox, though it's been ages since I read it.

Any info on Mahannah and Fox would be appreciated.