Re: RARA-AVIS: The Oxford Companion to Crime & Mystery Writing

From: Bill Hagen ( billha@ionet.net)
Date: 14 Feb 2000

Tribe writes,

>Just bought this and it's not bad. However, I detect something of a general
>refusal to acknowledge a lot of the American paperback writers such as
>Willeford, Goodis, Horace McCoy,and the like, although they do cover Jim
>Thompson, Patricia Highsmith and James M. Cain. I dunno...is it just me or
>do the British (inasmuch as I can assume British since it is an Oxford
>Companion)seem to not take seriously the role of the Goodis' of the world in
>the development of crime fiction?

This was very much an American project, in fact, so can't blame the Brits for these omissions. I remember when the call went out for contributors and suggested topics back in the early 90s, or maybe even the late 80s. I contributed a short thing on computer detective games, and remember that the editor was very much in New York City.

Bill Hagen
< billha@ionet.net>