Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: No, please, no

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 13 Feb 2000

My original posting on this thread was facetious, but I've been thinking about it. Consider this plot: The protagonist is ordered by his boss(or hired by his client) to go into a potentially dangerous situation. He makes precautions to insure against something going badly. Along with a female companion he ventures forth. They fall into a trap set by the villain and are captured and imprisoned. By luck, guile and force they manage to overcome and kill the villain. It sounds like many of the Matt Helm plots, for example. It also happens to be the plot of Hansel and Gretel.

Many of the original versions of fairy tales are very grim. There must be a lot of source material in the Norse and Greek myths too. know this is not an original discovery, but it might serve us to explore the bases of hard boiled. Mark